Manage episode 305005533 series 2983086
Nick’s description of Ohio as “America in Miniature” got us thinking- if U.S. Route 66 (and its Interstate analogue, I-40) is the “Great Amercian Road Trip,” what would constitute the “Great Ohioan Road Trip”? Settling on U.S. Route 42 and the parallel I-71, we attempt to design the ultimate Ohio road adventure, full of natural beauty, awesome food, and… some pretty morbid history.
Also in this episode, we meet a chain-smoking cyborg, hear Nick’s owl impersonation, and learn why Kelsey hates camping.
Logo by ridz_khan on Fiverr
Sources and Links:
Ice Breaker: https://museumhack.com/list-icebreakers-questions/
Cincinnati Zoo: http://cincinnatizoo.org/
The 1974 Xenia tornado (yes, we got the date wrong): https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/this-day-in-weather-history-april-4-1974-xenia-ohio-f5-and-super-outbreak
Der Dutchman and Carlisle Gifts: https://dhgroup.com/restaurants/der-dutchman-plain-city-oh
The Cheese House: http://shopthecheesehouse.com/
The Little Brown Jug: https://www.littlebrownjug.com/ and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Brown_Jug_(horse_race)
Eclectic Diner and Sweeterie: https://eclecticdinerandsweeterie.com/. Check out https://www.yelp.com/biz/eclectic-diner-and-sweeterie-delaware if main site is down.
Olentangy Caverns: https://olentangycaverns.com/
Bunker’s Mill Winery: https://www.bunkersmillwinery.com/
Mount Gilead Fires and Levering Hall, including quotes from History of Morrow County: https://www.mountgilead.net/mgfddepthx.htm
Levering Hall in General: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levering_Hall#cite_note-dohp-2
Sparks Fly LLC: https://sparksflyllc.com/
8 Sisters Bakery: http://www.8sistersbakery.com/our-story/
Renaissance Theatre: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Theatre_(Mansfield,_Ohio)
Miss Ohio Pageant and Miss America: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Ohio and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Miss_America_titleholders#Winners_by_state
Carpenter Gothic architecture: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpenter_Gothic
The Warden and his wife at Mansfield: https://ghostwalks.com/articles/tragic-arthur-glattke-mansfield
Mount Gilead State Park: https://ohiodnr.gov/wps/portal/gov/odnr/go-and-do/plan-a-visit/find-a-property/mt-gilead-state-park
Fishing Regulations in Ohio: https://ohiodnr.gov/wps/portal/gov/odnr/buy-and-apply/hunting-fishing-boating/fishing-resources/fishing-regulations
Wetland facts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetland
Schleman Nature Preserve and Buckeye Woods: https://www.medinacountyparks.com/index.php/parks/nature-preserves/schleman-nature-preserve
Wikipedia’s sources are listed on each Wikipedia url.
- External links are provided to credit the sources used in our research and provide further background. They do not reflect the opinions of the Ohio Bubble Podcast.
- We taped our first several episodes during a relative break in the Covid pandemic. Depending on when you listen, some of the activities we describe may be unsafe or unavailable. Be safe y’all!
- The Cheese House was incorrectly referred to as Yoder’s Cheese House. Yoder’s is actually the name of the fencing shop next door.
- The “Olentangy Indian Caverns” have recently been renamed as simply the “Olentangy Caverns.” In this episode, we use the original name as printed in Google Maps. We understand and respect the name-change and don’t want to touch the political discussions about such name-changes with a ten-foot-pole.
- When it comes to ghost tours, there’s a big difference between a ghost walk and a ghost hunt. We emphatically don’t recommend the latter.
- Blackfork describes wetlands as the most biodiverse ecosystem after rainforests.
- Fair warning, the themes and humor of this episode are a little darker than usual.