Impact of the Pandemic on Canadian real estate - Part 1
Manage episode 322929082 series 3325010
Date: February 17th, 2022
Name of podcast: Altus Insights Podcast Series
Episode title and number: Impact of the pandemic on Canadian real estate – Part 1
Episode summary: We kickoff our new podcast series with a “2-parter” where we’ll be discussing the ongoing impact of the pandemic on commercial and residential real estate across Canada, with retrospectives on 2021, predictions for 2022, and market trends real estate investors and real estate developers should keep an eye on.
Panelists in this episode:
- Raymond Wong is the Vice President of Data Operations for Altus Group’s Data Solutions team. Overseeing 60+ researchers across Canada, Ray’s primary responsibility is to ensure data collection is all encompassing, reliable and accurate and that it adheres to the Altus Group data governance guidelines. Ray works closely with both internal and external clients to ensure the information meets their needs and that it is both accurate and timely. He also regularly presents on key market trends to clients and at industry events.
- Marlon Bray is the head of Altus Group's Ontario pre-construction and contract administration services as part of the Cost and Project Management team. With over 25 years of experience, specializing in budgeting, value optimization, and providing visibility on risk through the entire lifecycle from early due diligence through to completion. Marlon oversees a team that leads the way with cutting-edge estimating technology and data analytics, bringing a greater level of transparency, and added value to all projects he is involved with.
- 01:04 – 2021 and 2022 Market Drivers
- 03:26 – 2021 and 2022 GTA Residential
- 04:40 – 2021 Cost Escalations
- 07:14 – Construction Cost Predictions
- 09:04 – Industrial Sales and Lease Rates
- 12:06 – Demand for Commercial Development
- 13:57 – Migration in Urban Condo Market
- 17:42 – Impacts of Inclusionary Zoning
- 20:31 – Condo Cancellations
Resources mentioned during this episode:
Sign up to receive our Altus InDepth Newsletter