6 | The Journey From Therapist to Coach with Katie Read
Manage episode 358531697 series 2474510
Have you ever been curious about the difference between life coaching and therapy? Or wanted a peek behind the curtain with either one?
If you just read an Instagram or blog post on “coaching vs therapy,” there’s a very strong chance it’s ridiculously oversimplified. “Therapists work on ‘problems’ rooted in the past, coaches work on goals for the future!” COOL. Except it ain’t that simple.
Thankfully, Katie Read is joining me for this episode to help us unpack some of the complexity. As you’ll hear, Katie is primarily speaking to therapists (since that’s the niche of peeps she serves), but a lot of what we talk about that translates WAY beyond that— and/or is just interesting for understanding the working lives of therapists.
How do coaches create their businesses? How do coaching businesses mesh with therapy? IS coaching really accessible to everyone? And how can therapists ethically add coaching into their practice without feeling guilty for charging more?
We explore these questions, and a lot more. Let’s jump in!
Katie Read helps the helping professionals step into their biggest lives…so they can serve in the biggest ways.
She has been an LMFT forever, directed large agencies, taught grad school, supervised 40+ interns, written psych training materials, spoken at conferences, and had practices in various cities.
She is also the creator of:
The Clinician to Coach® Academy,
The Clini-Coach® Certification,
and the Six-Figure Flagship® Program.
She’s a special needs mom, a rescue dog mom, an eager-but-terrible karaoke singer, and an interior-designer-wannabe.
This episode covers:
- [0:00] Intro
- [6:05] Getting in the room as ‘big energy’
- [8:25] What's a 'bad bitch reframe'
- [10:55] Conceptualizing and making sense of being a coach and building a coaching business
- [15:05] Therapy vs. coaching services
- [18:15] Advice for people wanting to cultivate their superpowers
- [23:30] Therapists being small and having a ‘martyr badge of honor’
- [27:50] The shadow side of the industry
- [28:35] Working against the idea that earning more money is a bad thing
- [31:40] What helps ADHD/squirrel brains to be more successful
- [37:20] The myth of having and wanting ‘more time’
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- A Not So Meet Cute by Meghan Quinn
- Why Rewatching Titanic is Different Now
- 40 Year Old Version
- Free resources: www.katieread.com/free
Connect with Katie:
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/heykatieread/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heykatieread
- Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Therapreneurs
- TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@heykatieread
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM4rN6VjkLmtoQXMxb4rjng
- Website: https://www.katieread.com
Connect with me:
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/bad.bitch.therapist
- TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@badbitchtherapist
- Website: https://badbitchtherapist.co/
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Book a call: https://badbitchtherapist.co/contact
DISCLAIMER: None of my online content or coaching services are to be considered as therapy or a substitute for individualized mental health treatment or healthcare. These offerings are created for entertainment and educational purposes. For full disclaimer, visit https://badbitchtherapist.co/disclaimer .