Manage episode 282212697 series 1185038
Last year we were forced to pivot from in-person meetings to more virtual gatherings, whether in our personal or our professional lives. People who weren’t familiar with video conferencing platforms had to adapt quickly and to learn the insides of this communication medium – which for many, it wasn’t an easy thing to do.
Our guest today – Kim Foley – quickly noticed a growing need for people to learn the proper etiquette for virtual meetings so that they can show up with more credibility in front of their listeners. She documented all the pain points people had when it came to being in front of a camera and she gathered them in her book, “Virtual Meetings with Power and Presence”. She shares her expertise gained in more than 25 years as an award-winning producer, media trainer, television stylist, as well as practices and practical guidelines for putting forth your personal best.
If you want to know how to deal with technical challenges such as poor internet connection or audio quality, how to frame and light yourself for an attractive presentation in less-than-ideal circumstances, and a lot more, then tune into Episode 263 of Becoming Your Best and find out all the tips and tricks that will make you a virtual meeting superstar!
Some questions I ask:
- Can you, please, tell us your story and what led you to where you are today? (05:37)
- What are some things we need to be aware of when we think of virtual meeting etiquette? (10:33)
- What kind of equipment people should have for a really high-quality exchange in a virtual meeting? (15:28)
- If people don’t like how they look on camera, how can they fix that? (17:08)
- What are your thoughts on multitasking while you’re in a virtual meeting? (21:58)
- Do you have any final tips for our listeners? (24:15)
In this episode, you will learn:
- The most important role a television stylist has. (06:39)
- The reason Kim wrote her book, “Virtual Meetings with Power and Presence”. (08:21)
- When you should turn your camera off in virtual meetings. (11:20)
- What your body language should be in virtual meetings. (12:56)
- How to look fantastic on camera by paying attention to lighting. (16:08)
- The colors you should wear when showing up on video. (19:14)
- How to interact with the camera when you’re talking in a virtual meeting. (22:50)
Connect with Kim:
- Email: email@example.com
- Youtube Channel
- Book: Kim Foley - Virtual Meetings With Power And Presence: The Ultimate Guide To Online Meetings
Becoming Your Best Resources:
- Becoming Your Best Website
- Becoming Your Best University Website
- Becoming Your Best Library
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Book: Becoming Your Best: The 12 Principles of Highly Successful Leaders
- Book: Conquer Anxiety: How to Overcome Anxiety and Optimize Your Performance
- Facebook Group – Conquer Anxiety
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.