Manage episode 285006113 series 2849768
The Book Interrupted women begin their first conversation on their Series 2 book choice: Untamed by Glennon Doyle. Each member expresses individually how they feel either before reading or beginning to read Untamed, then they continue the discussion into a group chat. Through the topics of selfishness, sexuality, gender, societal conditioning, bravery, raising children, feeling your feelings and doing hard things, they talk about their lives, inspired by the words of Glennon Doyle.
- Upcoming contest for fans to win a waterproof Amazon Kindle Oasis
- The high sales numbers and popularity of Untamed
- Should there be a balance when discussing putting yourself first?
- Examining preconceived notions of sexuality and gender. Loving the person and not the gender.
- Societal preconditioning about wanting to want our own home and hit particular life goals. What’s true to us? Are we born into a society or role that is being marketed to us?
- The story of the therapist, when Glennon Doyle said she’d fallen in love with a woman and the therapist told her to give her husband a blow job. Is a blow job less intimate? The societal idea that there is no other option than staying in a marriage. Follow your truth.
- Feel your feelings. Surviving. It’s hard and we can do hard things. Children’s books on doing hard things. Can we undo the conditioning, and teach something different to the next generation?
- Teaching children about bravery and different kinds of bravery; saying no is also brave.
- The paradox that women should be genuine, but also conform.
- Sitting on Santa’s lap at the mall is confusing; don’t let strangers touch your body, except this stranger.