Manage episode 288874981 series 2720051
In this eye-opening conversation with Mia Smith, Registered Dietician, we explore the healthcare and feeding disparities in South Africa. Mia is studying to become an IBCLC and has a breadth of experience in both middle-class and low-income environments across her country. In developing areas where families have little access to food, water, electricity, and healthcare, many challenges to breastfeeding, maternal diet, and infant feeding occur. Mia shares with us the things that are happening in her country and the many ways she and her colleagues work to engender improving outcomes.
In this episode, you'll hear:
- The importance of safe infant formula feeding (no matter where you live)
- Why we really should wait 6 months to introduce complementary foods to our babies
- Considerations for HIV-positive mothers and breastfeeding
- How "Fed Is Best" is a privilege, not a message of support
- SO much more!!
- Mia Smith on Instagram: http://instagram.com/miasmith_rd