Manage episode 278967801 series 1523818
Today’s guest believes that the way you make people feel will determine the strength of the relationship. Associate Professor Bidhan "Bobby" Parmar is the Shannon Smith Emerging Scholar in Business Administration. Parmar teaches creative and critical thinking at the Darden School of Business. He was also named one of the top 40 business school professors under 40 in the world and has won several teaching and research awards, with his research published in several magazines.
Parmar's research interests focus on how managers make sense of uncertainty and collaborate in ways that create value for stakeholders and teach students real world leadership skills in stressful and interpersonally sensitive situations.
I can’t wait to dive into Bobby’s wealth of knowledge and experience as he breaks down relationships and how to build them.
Things you will learn in this episode:
[00:01 - 06:26] Opening Segment
- I introduce today’s guest, Professor. Bidhan Parmar
- Emerging Scholar
- Top business school professors
- Announcement: travischapel.com/makemypodcast
- Bobby talks about his early life
- Started up in martial arts
- Learned how to teach and meet new people
- School life and relationships
- First generation expectations
- Beginning journey into academia
- Worked as a research assistant
- Making others better around you
[06:27 - 13:00] Diving into the Details and the Unknown
- Bobby’s advice on the limit of pushing your children
- Letting the kids lead
- Pick something you love and build expertise
- Share your passion
- Bobby talks about the allure of research
- The mystery solving aspect
- Helping people make effective decisions
- Research that solves needs
- Fostering interests
- Not an immediate pay-off
- Manage motivation
- Find how the work benefits people
- Bobby’s time and journey in Darden U
- Opportunity to teach and stay
- Valuable relationships with colleagues
[13:01 - 25:22] Talking Relationship; Closing Segment
- Who you or What you know?
- It’s about the feelings you create in others
- How you relate to others
- Relationships matter a lot, but not by themselves
- How do you take an important skill set and apply it?
- Find the people that make you feel good
- Put into situations where you need to use
- Find good exemplars
- Bobby’s networking trick
- Analyze what works best for you
- A time when connection led to something big in your life?
- Bobby’s example with Darden U executives
- “Stakeholder Theory”
- Bobby shares a story from a friends studies
- Stakeholder capitalism
- Fishing with Dynamite
- Link below
- The RaNdoM RoUnd
- Remember to upload and tag us on instagram!
- Final words
“I was really passionate about this idea of using power responsibly… you use that responsibly and you use that to make the world better.” - Bidhan “Bobby” Parmar
“It’s not about who you know or what you know, it’s about how you make other people feel.” - Bidhan “Bobby” Parmar
You can learn more about Bobby on https://www.darden.virginia.edu/faculty-research/directory/bidhan-l-parmar and connect with his content on YouTube.
Did you love the value that we are putting out in the show? LEAVE A REVIEW and tell us what you think about the episode so we can continue putting out great content just for you! Share this episode and help someone who wants to connect with world-class people.
Jump on over to travischapel.com/makemypodcast and let my team make you your very own show!
If you want to learn how to build YOUR network, check out my website a travischappell.com. You can connect with me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Be sure to join The Lounge to become part of the community that’s setting up REAL relationships that add value and create investments.
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands
Privacy & Opt-Out: https://redcircle.com/privacy