Manage episode 280657014 series 1523818
Friends are some of the most important people in our lives, so why would we not invest in making those relationships great? Today’s guest, Shasta Nelson, is the leading expert on friendship, healthy relationships, and reversing the trend of increasing loneliness. She is a speaker, and author committed to teaching all of us how to create healthier, more fulfilling relationships in our lives. She’ll be talking with us today about some of the work that will be in her book, The Business of Friendship: Making the Most of the Relationships Where We Spend Most of Our Time, filled with scientific data and tips on healthy culture and relationship building.
Let’s dive right in and listen to Shasta as she breaks down the business of friendship and how it affects us.
Things you will learn in this episode:
[00:01 - 05:18] Opening Segment
- I introduce today’s guest, Shasta Nelson
- Business of Friendship
- Leading voice on how we can end loneliness
- Interviewed in prevalent magazines
- Shasta talks about her early life experience
- Finding her voice
- Daughter to a single mom
- Story about her sister
- Not shining too brightly
- Learning where the line is
[05:19 - 17:23] Shining Bright Without Outshining Others
- Shasta talks about the line between confidence and arrogance
- Supporting others shiny, amazing thing
- Not thinking other people are lesser
- Give your best without dimming your light
- Willing to be seen
- Vulnerability as a requirement for relationships
- We struggle to be vulnerable where we’re most proud
- Our friendships should be a place for practicing shining
- Shasta’s lessons from college days
- Running for student vice president
- Studying for divinity
- Practice with managing and counseling relationships
- Feeling of belonging and community
- Shifting from religious work and into a spiritual community
- Common theme of hearing a growing trend of loneliness
- The need to build community
[17:24 - 23:00] The Business of Friendship
- Shasta talks about her journey into her speaking work
- People not used to paying for this yet
- A worthy investment
- Would you do it for free?
- Shasta talks about her book
- Links below
- Three requirements of relationships
- Positivity - 5 positive for every 1 negative
- Evaluating the health of all our relationships
- Moving relationships to the top of the pyramid
[23:01 - 28:13] Closing Segment
- Who you know or What you know?
- Who you know fuels who you are
- Safe place to process
- The RaNdoM RoUnd
- Where to find Shasta - links below
- Remember to upload and tag us on Instagram!
- Final words
“If anything our friendships should be where we practice shining…” - Shasta Nelson
“You can have vulnerability and consistency but we want it to feel good, and that’s where we need positivity… it has to feel good for us to want to be consistent and make us want to share with you.” - Shasta Nelson
Did you love the value that we are putting out in the show? LEAVE A REVIEW and tell us what you think about the episode so we can continue putting out great content just for you! Share this episode and help someone who wants to connect with world-class people.
Jump on over to travischapel.com/makemypodcast and let my team make you your very own show!
If you want to learn how to build YOUR network, check out my website a travischappell.com. You can connect with me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Be sure to join The Lounge to become part of the community that’s setting up REAL relationships that add value and create investments.
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands
Privacy & Opt-Out: https://redcircle.com/privacy