Manage episode 300185063 series 2880613
Have you ever thought about becoming a foster parent but didn't know where to begin? This is the show for you! We talk with Vicki Ochoa, State Director for South Carolina MENTOR, an organization that provides an array of child and family services, on the ins and outs of becoming a foster parent.
In this episode, we cover:
- Why should you become a foster parent?
- What is the role of a foster parent?
- What are the expectations of what a foster parent will do?
- How to become a foster parent.
- How do you get licensed to be a foster parent?
- How much training is required?
- What type of ongoing training is required?
- Do you have to own your home?
- How big does your house need to be?
- How many kids can you have already in your home?
- What agency can you work with to become licensed?
- Who places the child with you?
- What are the needs of kids in foster care?
- How is the decision made as to which child or children should be placed in your home?
- Can you specify the age, gender, # of kids, and degree of special need of the child you want to foster?
- What type of help should the agency provide for you after the child is in your home?
- If you have a choice, how do you choose a foster agency to work with?
- How much voice do foster parents have on what happens to the child?
- Do foster parents get paid?
- Can you adopt your foster child?
This podcast is produced by www.CreatingaFamily.org. We are a national non-profit with the mission to strengthen and inspire adoptive, foster & kinship parents and the professionals who support them. Creating a Family brings you the following trauma-informed, expert-based content:
Please leave us a rating or review RateThisPodcast.com/creatingafamily
Support the show (https://creatingafamily.org/donation/)