Manage episode 276256462 series 2667583
COVID has been a blessing in disguise in emphasizing the issue of burnout in the workplace. It has been a good wake-up call and a good push in showing people the importance of self-care and prioritizing mental health to avoid burnout.
Creating boundaries at work and prioritizing mental health and wellbeing is a combination of the contribution of everyone in the workplace. It’s on the corporation to create the right structure to promote well being, it’s on the leader to make sure that they enforce those policies, and it’s on the individual to set their own strong boundaries.
In this episode, we speak with Michelle Yu who shares with us her experience with burnout as she aggressively climbed the corporate ladder. After dealing with her burnout experience, she now sees mental health, self-care, rest, and asking for help as important aspects to living a fulfilling life.
Work can be meaningful, fulfilling and enjoyable and doesn’t have to lead to burnout.
Life is short. So live it with purpose and know that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN THIS EPISODE:
- Michelle’s burnout story (2:02)
- Busyness becoming a norm (2:48)
- Being productive vs being busy (3:20)
- Your performance can starts slipping without self-care (4:39)
- The moment of clarity (5:02)
- Listen to your body’s signs (5:25)
- Meditation (5:59)
- It’s okay to cry in the workplace (6:25)
- Having a strong support system (7:08)
- Being conscious of where burnout comes from (8:20)
- Mental health awareness in the workplace (8:48)
- See the giant signs but not following them (9:47)
- Not many employees fully utilise their employee assistance program (10:26)
- Setting your own boundaries (11:00)
- See the different angles of the situation to handle stress (12:52)
- Reframing how we see rest (13:07)
- Therapy is a helpful option (14:02)
- Breathe (15:14)
- You can’t help someone who isn’t ready to be helped (15:56)
- Two types of motivation (16:50)
- Everyone has imposter syndrome (17:51)
- Gain confidence by looking at how far you’ve come (19:27)
CONNECT WITH MICHELLE YU
Connect with Michelle on LinkedIn
Follow Michelle on Instagram
CONNECT WITH KATHLEEN FAIR
Connect with me on Facebook
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Michelle Yu is a former HR executive turned Human Capital Consultant and Coach. She's worked for technology and venture capital/private equity firms, start-ups and Fortune 500 companies in Silicon Valley. She transitioned from the corporate world and now coaches ambitious high achievers to improve their careers, businesses and leadership strategies. Michelle received her MBA from Duke University.