Manage episode 298322741 series 2803603
Today’s guest is not only an oral surgeon, but an author and an MBA graduate as well. Dr. Dean DeLuke spent 30 years in private practice before transitioning to full-time academia, which is where he has spent the last 10 years. Dean explains what he loves so much about being an academic, and why he would recommend it to any oral surgeons on a part-time or full-time basis. He also shares how having an MBA benefited him in a variety of ways, and what inspired him to write Shedrow. This episode is slightly unusual in that Dean puts Grant in the hot seat for a little bit, with a few questions that will give you insight into the personal reasons that motivated him to start this podcast. Soon to be facing retirement, Dean is full of experience and wisdom, and we hope you learn as much from this episode as we did!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Time that Dean spent in private practice, and what he loves about working as a full-time academic currently.
- The book that Dean wrote, and what inspired him to write it.
- Elements that Dean loved about writing a book, and those that he didn’t like very much.
- Reasons that Dean decided to do an MBA, and how it has benefited him.
- The impetus behind Dean’s decision to go into full-time academics.
- Differentials between earnings in private practice and academia, and how these have been reduced over the years.
- A study that Dean and a colleague did to determine satisfaction levels of academics.
- Advice from Dean for young oral surgeons interested in writing.
- The future of Dean’s writing career.
- Why Dean encourages oral surgeons to enter the world of academia.
- Business advice for young oral surgeons.
- The strategy Dean recommends that graduates use to pay off student debt.
- What Dean would have done differently if he could go back in time.
- How Dean’s hobby of slalom water skiing positively impacts him professionally.
- Dean puts Grant into the hot seat with some questions about the podcast.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Dr. Dean DeLuke — https://www.linkedin.com/in/dean-deluke-631b1b19/
Shedrow by Dean DeLuke — https://www.amazon.com/Shedrow-Dean-DeLuke/dp/0983490007
Dr. Grant Stucki Email — email@example.com
Dr. Grant Stucki Phone — 720 441 6059