#070: Paul Michael Anderson – Writing moral murkiness, making short stories work, and prioritizing life.
Manage episode 282322145 series 2529285
Paul Michael Anderson is the author of the collection Bones Are Made to Be Broken, which Jack Ketchum called “a dark carnival of rigorous intelligence and compassion, the title novella alone of which is well worth the price of admission”, as well as the novellas I Can Give You Life, and How We Broke (with Bracken MacLeod), and dozens of short stories, articles, and reviews.
His new novella Standalone launches tomorrow (as of the time of recording), and Stephen Graham Jones describes it as “A metaphysical science fiction slasher that doesn’t scrimp on the gore and might just get you rooting for the guy with the machete, the ax, the knife, and that certain glint in his eye that lets you know it’s all over.”
In this episode we go deep into:
- Paul’s entry into blogging and building his website
- How Paul wrote his way out of a driving ticket
- Balance content and expectation with a knowledge of your privilege
- Why Paul writes fiction alongside his blogging
- Paul’s encounter with a fan that spurred on his writing
- Paul’s journey into horror writing
- How Paul got featured in collections with such heavy-hitters of the genre
- Building a reputation in the short story world
- What to look for when entering into an anthology
- Why writing short stories is a numbers game
- Why “Standalone” was the book that ’needed to be written.'
- The power of the anti-hero and moral murkiness
- How to approach people to blurb your book
- Why Paul writes
Find out more about Paul:
Links from the show:
Stephen King’s "Pet Semetery" https://books2read.com/u/bw7kDy
Jack Ketchum https://www.jackketchum.net/
Joe R Lansdale http://www.joerlansdale.com/
Harlan Ellison https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlan_Ellison
Get your Great Writers Share merchandise!
GWS Press books:
Collaboration for Authors: https://books2read.com/u/3G2jLn
Special thanks to:
Intro vocals: Persephone Rose
Show theme: Karl Hughes
Become a Patron of the show! Get exclusive bonus content, find your tribe, and get early access to all episodes.
Thank you to my patrons:
Ian J Middleton
Victoria LK Williams
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.