Ep. 72 - Precedential Decisions from 9/6/2021 - 9/12/2021 (detention; Joseph hearing; habeas; crimes of violence; divisibility; post-conviction relief; CIMT; crime of child abuse, abandonment, or neglect; mental health; reinstatement; credibility)
Manage episode 302196797 series 2857723
[2:02] Gayles v. Warden, et al., No. 19-3241 (3d Cir. Sept. 3, 2021)
- mandatory detention; due process; Joseph hearing; burdens; INA § 242(f)(1)
[7:59] Farah v. U.S. Att’y Gen., No. 19-12462 (11th Cir. Sept. 8, 2021)
- prolonged detention; habeas; INA § 241(a); Akinwale; controlled substance; Minn. Stat. §§ 152.025, 609.222; aggravated felony crime of violence; Matter of Jean; refugee adjustment § 209; “reasoned consideration”; withholding & CAT; Somalia
[19:21] Talamantes-Enriquez v. U.S. Att'y Gen., No. 19-15080 (11th Cir. Sept. 9, 2021)
- aggravated felony; crime of violence; physical force; divisibility; charging document; post-conviction relief; ignoring state court judge actions
[26:55] Sasay v. Att’y Gen. U.S., No. 20-1273 (3d Cir. Sept. 10, 2021)
- CIMT; intent to defraud; divisibility; Matter of Serna; 18 U.S.C. § 1028A(a); aiding and abetting
[31:19] Marquez v. Garland, No. 18-3363 (2d Cir. Sept. 7, 2021)
- crime of child abuse, neglect, or abandonment; Matter of Soram; retroactivity; N.Y. Pen. L. § 260.10(1)
[35:55] Diaz-Rodriguez v. Garland, No. 13-73719 (9th Cir. Sept. 10, 2021)
- crime of child abuse, neglect, or abandonment; unitary concept; criminal negligence; Matter of Soram; Cal. Pen. Code § 273a(a); Chevron ; statutory interpretation; deference to panel
[43:41] Benedicto v. Garland, No. 18-73237 (9th Cir. Sept. 9, 2021)
- mental illness; mental health; Matter of M-A-M-; Matter of M‑J-K-; due process; qualified representative; termination; CAT; Dominican Republic
[48:43] Iraheta-Martinez v. Garland, No. 18-72692 (9th Cir. Sept. 7, 2021)
- withholding-only; due process; reinstatement; exhaustion; futility; constitutional claims; statutory interpretation; “notwithstanding clause”; MS-13; LGBTQ; gang opposition; El Salvador
[55:33] Alam v. Garland, No. 19-72744 (9th Cir. Sept. 8, 2021) (en banc)
- credibility; “single factor rule”; totality of the circumstances; lie
[59:03] Etemadi v. Garland, No. 18-72318 (9th Cir. Sept. 9, 2021)
- law-of-the-case; credibility; inconsistencies; falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus; error of fact; document authenticity; CAT; affidavits; Christianity; Iran; waiver/exhaustion; changed conditions; frivolous finding
*Sponsors and friends of the podcast!
Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli and Pratt P.A.
Immigration, serious injury, and business lawyers serving clients in Florida, California, and all over the world for over 40 years.
"Modern immigration software & case management"
Immigration Review® is a podcast made available for educational purposes only. It does not provide specific legal advice. Rather, the Immigration Review® podcast offers general information and insights regarding recent immigration cases from publicly available sources. By accessing and listening to the podcast, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the podcast host. The Immigration Review® podcast should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.
[see prior episodes]
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/immigrationreview)