Manage episode 294614292 series 1294742
Harvard's Dr. Delilah Gates joins to discuss the fascinating & foreboding subject of black holes! Black holes are mysterious objects that have perplexed humanity for centuries, yet Delilah reveals new perspectives on their most inscrutable properties via in-depth studies of their spins, entropy, event horizons & more.
Dr. Delilah Gates is Harvard's second African American woman to receive a Ph.D. in physics. Before joining Harvard, she earned two Bachelors of Science degrees: one in physics and one in math, from the University of Maryland, College Park. She studies high-spin black holes and gravity working to analytically characterize observational signatures of near extremal Kerr black holes using the emergent near-horizon conformal symmetry. Her interests include (near) extremal black hole geometries, black hole binaries, AdS/CFT correspondence, and black hole entropy. Find her on the web at https://bhi.fas.harvard.edu/people/delilah-gates
Thanks to our sponsor!
Stay tuned for a 45 minute technical talk from Delilah soon.
- 00:00 Introduction
- 01:00 The Most Fascinating Thing
- 01:42 Could black holes be dark matter?
- 02:00 Crash Course: Black Hole History
- 05:00 The Information Loss Paradox
- 06:27 The Holographic Principle
- 09:00 Can you create a Black Hole in the Lab?
- 11:00 What's a Black Hole made of?
- 12:50 Are black holes primordial?
- 13:00 Are some black holes primordial, created in the Big Bang?
- 14:15 The Black Hole Diet?
- 14:30 Spaghettification!
- 15:30 Growing up and becoming a PhD student
- 20:00 The Nobel Prize, Barry Barish, Albert Einstein, and the Imposter Syndrome!
- 23:00 Happy Father's Day to Prof. S. James Gates
Watch my interview with Jim Gates (Delilah's dad) Jim Gates: Proving Einstein RIGHT! The daring expedition that changed how we look at the Universe! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzY4nwulC6E
Please join my mailing list to get resources and enter giveaways to win a FREE copy of my book Losing the Nobel Prize: http://briankeating.com/mailing_list.php 📝
🎥 🎥 Watch my most popular videos🎥 🎥
- Frank Wilczek https://youtu.be/3z8RqKMQHe0?sub_conf...
- Weinstein and Wolfram https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI0AZ...
- Sheldon Glashow: https://youtu.be/a0_iaWgxQtA?sub_conf...
- Michael Saylor The Physics of Bitcoin https://youtu.be/CaN_CDKqXOg?sub_conf...
- Sir Roger Penrose, Nobel Prize winner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMuqy...
- Jill Tarter https://youtu.be/O9K9OBd3vHk?sub_conf...
- Sara Seager Venus LIfe: https://youtu.be/QPsEDoOTU6k?sub_conf...
- Noam Chomsky: https://youtu.be/Iaz6JIxDh6Y?sub_conf...
- Sabine Hossenfelder: https://youtu.be/V6dMM2-X6nk?sub_conf...
- Sarah Scoles: https://youtu.be/apVKobWigMw
- Stephen Wolfram: https://youtu.be/nSAemRxzmXM
🏄♂️ Find me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/DrBrianKeating
🔥 Find me on Instagram at https://instagram.com/DrBrianKeating
📖 Buy my book LOSING THE NOBEL PRIZE: http://amzn.to/2sa5UpA
🔔 Subscribe for more great content https://www.youtube.com/DrBrianKeatin...
✍️Detailed Blog posts here: https://briankeating.com/blog.php
📧Join my mailing list: http://briankeating.com/mailing_list.php
👪Join my Facebook Group: https://facebook.com/losingthenobelprize
🎙️Please subscribe, rate, and review the INTO THE IMPOSSIBLE Podcast on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/i...
🎙️Listen on all other platforms: https://wavve.link/into
A production of http://imagination.ucsd.edu/
Artwork by Sloan Sobie
Join this channel to get access to perks:
Support the podcast: https://www.patreon.com/drbriankeating
And please join my mailing list to get resources and enter giveaways to win a FREE copy of my book (and more) http://briankeating.com/mailing_list.php 📝
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices