Manage episode 288753717 series 1294742
Stephen C. Meyer received his Ph.D. in the philosophy of science from the University of Cambridge. A former geophysicist and college professor, he now directs Discovery Institute’s Center for Science and Culture in Seattle.
He has authored the New York Times bestseller Darwin’s Doubt: The Explosive Origin of Animal Life and the Case for Intelligent Design (HarperOne, 2013), Signature in the Cell: DNA and the Evidence for Intelligent Design (HarperOne, 2009), which was named a Book of the Year by the Times (of London) Literary Supplement in 2009, and now, The Return of the God Hypothesis (HarperOne, 2021).
In his first book on intelligent design, Signature in the Cell: DNA and the Evidence for Intelligent Design (HarperOne, 2009) Meyer examined the mystery of the origin of the first life. With Darwin’s Doubt, he has expanded the scope of the case for intelligent design to the whole sweep of life’s history.
And please join my mailing list to get resources and enter giveaways to win a FREE copy of my book (and more) http://briankeating.com/mailing_list.php 📝
- 4:27 - Why are you (Stephen) on this show?
- 7:37 - Why do you believe in intelligent design?
- 8:16 - Can Christians accept the contents of your book?
- 11:45 - Is NOMA legit?
- 16:06 - When does epistemological support cross into evidentiary support?
- 19:18 - Definition of epistemic support versus direct evidence and the historic scientific method and the abductive inference.
- 21:19 - What do you make of a cosmologist’s ability to “undo” another cosmologist’s work? Why should we trust any cosmologist’s explanations, given that cosmologists have historically been repeatedly disproven?
- 32:13 - What would you say to someone who claims you’re cherry-picking evidence for the mind behind the universe?
- 40:14 - Atheism and Stephen Hawking
- 42:08 - Why do headlines tout bold claims like, “God is dead”, when the response to the community falls on deaf ears?
- 48:43 - Can you talk about the lack of scientific curiosity present in the acceptance of scientific folklore?
- 54:03 - Why does the book have Return in its name? The three metaphors.
- 56:29 - How does God interact with the universe? How is the mind able to account for the teleological purpose that we exist?
- 1:07:04 - Why do seemingly obscure parts of the universe exist? What would God’s purpose be for creating such things?
- 1:14:52 - Is it possible to derive a Judeo-Christian God from intelligent design?
🎥 🎥 Watch my most popular videos🎥 🎥
- Frank Wilczek https://youtu.be/3z8RqKMQHe0?sub_confirmation=1
- Weinstein and Wolfram https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI0AZ4Y4Ip4?sub_confirmation=1
- Sheldon Glashow: https://youtu.be/a0_iaWgxQtA?sub_confirmation=1
- Michael Saylor The Physics of Bitcoin https://youtu.be/CaN_CDKqXOg?sub_confirmation=1
- Sir Roger Penrose, Nobel Prize winner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMuqyAvX7Wo?sub_confirmation=1
- Jill Tarter https://youtu.be/O9K9OBd3vHk?sub_confirmation=1
- Sara Seager Venus LIfe: https://youtu.be/QPsEDoOTU6k?sub_confirmation=1
- Noam Chomsky: https://youtu.be/Iaz6JIxDh6Y?sub_confirmation=1
- Sabine Hossenfelder: https://youtu.be/V6dMM2-X6nk?sub_confirmation=1
- 🏄♂️ Find me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/DrBrianKeating
- 🔥 Find me on Instagram at https://instagram.com/DrBrianKeating
- 📖 Buy my book LOSING THE NOBEL PRIZE: http://amzn.to/2sa5UpA
- 🔔 Subscribe for more great content https://www.youtube.com/DrBrianKeating?sub_confirmation=1
- ✍️Detailed Blog posts here: https://briankeating.com/blog.php
- 📧Join my mailing list: http://briankeating.com/mailing_list.php
- 👪Join my Facebook Group: https://facebook.com/losingthenobelprize
- 🎙️Please subscribe, rate, and review the INTO THE IMPOSSIBLE Podcast on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/into-the-impossible/id1169885840?mt=2
- 🎙️Listen on all other platforms: https://wavve.link/into
A production of http://imagination.ucsd.edu/
Support the podcast: https://www.patreon.com/drbriankeating
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices