132: What did the Event Horizon Telescope Discover? Chat with Heino Falcke: black holes, polarization EHT
Manage episode 288863505 series 1294742
Thanks to today’s sponsor, LinkedIn Jobs! Visit linkedin.com/impossible to post your job ad for FREE!
The Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) just made a MAJOR Discovery about Black Holes. Chat with Heino Falcke, author of LIGHT IN THE DARKNESS, about what it all means. Light is an oscillating electromagnetic wave. If the waves have a preferred direction of oscillation, they are polarized. In space, moving hot gas, or ‘plasma’, threaded by a magnetic field emits polarized light. The polarized light rays that manage to escape the pull of the black hole travel to a distant camera. The intensity of those light rays and their direction is what we observe with the Event Horizon Telescope.
GET THE BOOK:https://amzn.to/3lPtpwr
MEET HEINO: https://heinofalcke.org
Magnetic fields around black holes can launch powerful plasma jets with almost speed of light. They force electrons to gyrate and emit radio waves. This forces the light to oscillate perpendicular to the field lines.
On 24 March 2021 the EHT collaboration revealed a breakthrough discovery: the Event Horizon Telescope has imaged polarized light close to the shadow of M87* for the very first time. Using this knowledge, we can map out the magnetic fields that surround the black hole, and connect them to the powerful jet of plasma it ejects.
The Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) is an international collaboration that captured the first image of a black hole by creating a virtual Earth-sized telescope. To learn more, you can check out our website at https://eventhorizontelescope.org/.
- 00:00 Introduction
- 05:00 What is the EHT?
- 10:00 What is polarization?
- 50:00 Learn about Heino's new book!
- Follow EHT on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ehtelescope
- Follow EHT on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ehtelescope/
- Follow EHT on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ehtelescope/
🎥 🎥 Watch my most popular videos🎥 🎥
- Sir Roger Penrose https://youtu.be/H8G5onAqlVo?sub_confirmation=1
- Juan Maldacena's First Podcast Interview: https://youtu.be/uIzTliTHn7s?sub_confirmation=1
- Jim Simons: https://youtu.be/6fr8XOtbPqM?sub_confirmation=1
- Sara Seager Venus LIfe: https://youtu.be/QPsEDoOTU6k?sub_confirmation=1
- Deepak Chopra and Frank Wilczek https://youtu.be/E-8mF4HWDnE?sub_confirmation=1
- Weinstein and Wolfram https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI0AZ4Y4Ip4?sub_confirmation=1
- Garrett Lisi https://youtu.be/TCZxpMTzRP4
- Sheldon Glashow: https://youtu.be/a0_iaWgxQtA?sub_confirmation=1
- Michael Saylor The Physics of Bitcoin https://youtu.be/CaN_CDKqXOg?sub_confirmation=1
- Sir Roger Penrose, Nobel Prize winner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMuqyAvX7Wo?sub_confirmation=1
- Frank Wilczek https://youtu.be/3z8RqKMQHe0?sub_confirmation=1
- Jill Tarter https://youtu.be/O9K9OBd3vHk?sub_confirmation=1
- Eric Weinstein: https://youtu.be/YjsPb3kBGnk?sub_confirmation=1
- Noam Chomsky: https://youtu.be/Iaz6JIxDh6Y?sub_confirmation=1
🏄♂️ Find me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/DrBrianKeating
🔥 Find me on Instagram at https://instagram.com/DrBrianKeating
📖 Buy my book LOSING THE NOBEL PRIZE: http://amzn.to/2sa5UpA
🔔 Subscribe for more great content https://www.youtube.com/DrBrianKeating?sub_confirmation=1
✍️Detailed Blog posts here: https://briankeating.com/blog.php
📧Join my mailing list: http://briankeating.com/mailing_list.php
👪Join my Facebook Group: https://facebook.com/losingthenobelprize
🎙️Please subscribe, rate, and review the INTO THE IMPOSSIBLE Podcast on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/into-the-impossible/id1169885840?mt=2
🎙️Listen on all other platforms: https://wavve.link/into
A production of http://imagination.ucsd.edu/
Support the podcast: https://www.patreon.com/drbriankeating
Powered by Restream https://restream.io/
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices