Manage episode 294946034 series 1520619
Today’s guest is Shawn Merritt the co-founder and CTO of Toucan, a Chrome extension that allows you to learn a new language while you browse the internet. Shaun, together with his other co-founders, found a way to level up the existing habits that people already have by creating a chrome extension that allows users the opportunity to passively learn a language without taking any time out of their day. Tune in to find out how Toucan works, and how it is different from other language-learning platforms. Shaun gives us some insight into how the company was established and how it has grown and achieved a vast amount of success in just two years. Hear about their journey thus far, how they are monetizing this product, marketing it, and how they use advertising as a deeper form of learning through their ingenious “Own The Word” concept.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:41] Shaun explains how he and his co-founders came up with the idea for Toucan.
- [01:29] How Toucan works to teach people new languages passively without taking time out of their day.
- [01:58] How Toucan is different from other language-learning platforms.
- [02:54] How it launched, people’s reactions to it, and how they grew and monetized it.
- [04:12] A case study example of how to use Toucan.
- [05:05] The most common languages used and requested.
- [06:08] Insight into the different difficulty settings and how it adapts as you learn.
- [06:57] How Toucan works as a passive form of engagement to enable people to progress quickly.
- [07:42] How they make money through premium features.
- [09:00] How they use advertising as a deeper form of learning through their ‘Own the word’ concept.’
- [09:33] How partnerships with advertisers work.
- [10:09] How are they growing through word of mouth, ‘own the word’, and partnerships.
- [11:35] The grand vision for Toucan: To find ways to teach other things passively too.
- [12:07] Shaun’s favorite business tool Obsidian, and favorite business book Thinking in Systems.
- [12:56] Bonus question: Where Shaun gets his information from.
Resources From The Interview:
- Must read book: Thinking in Systems
Leave Some Feedback:
- What should I talk about next? Who should I interview? Please let me know on Twitter or in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review here
- Subscribe to Leveling Up on iTunes
- Get the non-iTunes RSS Feed
Connect with Eric Siu: