Manage episode 302690171 series 2117437
In this ambitious three-part series, we want to talk about time travel through some of our favorites ---- Tenet, Loki, and Interstellar. As viewers, we experience movies frame by frame; as human beings, we experience time through the relentless one-way time arrow. Through subverting our familiar narrative structures and disrupting causality, time travel can raise important questions about the universe we live in and its physical rules.
- 2:07 A cool anecdote about Chien-Shiung Wu, the female Chinese-American particle and experimental physicist
- 7:14 Our third category of time travel stories, as presented in Interstellar
- 11:16 Fascinating understandings of time and space that came from the elegant principles of Special Relativity
- 19:00 "High-dimensional creatures" in pop culture and in religion
- 21:10 The inherent tragedy in time -- Eternalism vs. Presentism
- 26:48 The sincerity and fragility of "Interstellar" -- is Sci-fi telling us to be more afraid to face our own vulnerabilities than exploring the end of the universe?
Shelly Shi - Ph.D. candidate in UCSD, with research interest in Philosophy of Physics
Please consider supporting us on Patreon (in USD, suitable for listeners who live in the U.S.): https://www.patreon.com/loudmurmurs.
Please consider supporting us on Patreon (in RMB)：
Please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any business inquiries.
Listen to LMM
Find Loud Murmurs in the iTunes podcast store, Google Play, Spotify, and wherever you listen to podcasts (e.g. Pocket Casts, Overcast)! Please subscribe, enjoy, and feel free to drop us a note and leave us a review.
- RSS feed: https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/258327.rss
- Itunes: https://apple.co/2VAVf0Z
- Google play: goo.gl/KjRYPN
- Spotify: https://spoti.fi/2IWNuRB
- Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=544416&refid=stpr
- Pocket Cast: http://pca.st/nLid
- Overcast: https://bit.ly/2SL7MNJ
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/loudmurmurs)