REI172: Preserving the Past Using Historic Tax Credits w/ John Blatchford
Manage episode 357782122 series 2539397
Patrick Donley chats with John Blatchford, who is the founder of Kunst, which is a developer of properties built in the 1800s. He shares his thoughts about how he got started in the preservation of historic buildings and the advantages of using historic tax credits to improve his returns.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro
11:50 - Why he decided to leave his W-2 job to pursue real estate full-time.
15:37 - How he learned about the advantages of historic tax credits.
25:00 - What the business model is for his company, Kunst.
36:45 - What the process is like for applying for historic tax credits.
39:14 - How John got his start in historic buildings by purchasing a $5000 building in Cincinnati.
45:00 - What his tech stack looks like to operate his business.
45:00 - Where and how he raised the initial capital to fund his projects.
49:28 - What his best advice would be for someone interested in real estate development.
56:32 - How his love of pickleball developed.
And much, much more!
*Disclaimer: Slight timestamp discrepancies may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Robert’s book The Everything Guide to House Hacking.
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie.
- War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells.
- Richer, Wiser, Happier by William Green.
- Related episode: Listen to REI155: Building a Boutique Property Empire w/ Moses Kagan, or watch the video.
- Related episode: Listen to REI159: From Receptionist to Urban Infill Developer w/ Sean Sweeney, or watch the video.
- Related episode: Listen to REI164: Intelligent Design w/ Bobby Fijan, or watch the video.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our Real Estate 101 Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
- Keep up with the latest news and strategies on real estate investing with the best real estate podcasts.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Get a FREE audiobook from Audible.
- Let an expert do your taxes from start to finish so you can relax with TurboTax.
- Set, track, and manage your financial goals as your life evolves with Scotia Smart Investor.
- Universal life insurance can offer protection and long-term tax-advantaged savings for your future goals & milestones. Get a universal life policy today through a simple, easy, and 100% digital purchase journey with Everly.
- Get the professional support you need to prepare for your future career with UBC Sauder School of Business.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
Connect with Patrick (@jpatrickdonley): Twitter
Connect with John: Twitter | LinkedIn | Website