Manage episode 290012432 series 2663586
To kick off our brand new series on museums and galleries, we’re thrilled to start with a conversation we had with Zoe Whitley. Zoe is the director of the Chisenhale Gallery in London and we talk about all things art and galleries, including Zoe’s career, the uniqueness of Chisenhale Gallery, and the need to ensure marginalised voices are included in museum spaces.
In this episode, we discuss:
- An introduction to Zoe and Chisenhale Gallery (01:00)
- Zoe’s entry into art, artists, and art museums (03:50)
- Challenges Zoe has faced throughout her career, including as a black woman in the arts, and how these issues can be addressed (07:20)
- The importance of showcasing marginalised artists and some of Zoe’s most inspirational influences (11:00)
- Zoe’s proudest career moments (16:40)
- What Zoe loves most about galleries and her favourite ones around the world (19:00)
- How the public can get involved in the Chisenhale Gallery (21:15)
- What Zoe loves about where she lives in South East London (24:00)
- The influence of Zoe’s parents (25:15)
If you want to find out more about Zoe, you can find her on Instagram at @zoe.whitley and the Chisenhale Gallery can be found on Twitter at @ChisenhaleGal and Instagram at @chisenhalegallery
Be part of the conversation
We’d love to know, which are your favourite galleries in London?
Find us on Instagram @portrait_of_a_londoner
Facebook @Portrait of a Londoner
or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are completely self funded so if you would like to support us we would be extremely grateful: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=34411265
Please rate, review and subscribe to our podcast! If you’ve enjoyed this episode, why not send it to a friend?