Manage episode 292785467 series 2510105
Hot diggity dog! Here we go, investigating the obscure Marxist theory beloved of academics that has gone viral in the past year... in both senses of the word. In this episode you'll get an effective innoculation, for the good health of your own mind as well as the polis at large.
1. Hedges, "Cancel Culture: Where Liberalism Goes to Die"
2. Marx, “Theses on Feuerbach,” in Karl Marx on Religion
3. Adorno and Horkheimer, Dialectic of Enlightenment
4. Tillich, The Socialist Decision
5. Simpson, Critical Social Theory
6. Marcuse, Eros and Civilization
7. Derrida, The Gift of Death
8. Brown, Undoing the Demos
9. Foucault, The History of Sexuality
10. Orwell, 1984
11. Carter, Race
12. Mitchell, American Awakening
13. Other episodes you might like related to this one: The Martyrdom of Perpetua and Felicitas, What Is a Person?, Two Kingdoms: Sixteenth Century Edition, and Two Kingdoms: Twentieth and Twenty-First Century Edition.
14. For my further reflections on Marxism and its impact, see these blog posts on The Bitter Price of Making the World a Better Place and Three Memoirs of Slovak Communism, as well as my book I Am a Brave Bridge (the January and February chapters in particular).
15. Dad on these topics: “Luther and Heidegger,” Lutheran Quarterly (Spring 2008); “The Spirit of Christ amid the Spirits of the Post-Modern World” Lutheran Quarterly (Winter 2000); “Sin, Death, and Derrida,” Lutheran Forum (Summer 2010).