Manage episode 293398076 series 2648641
"If you're in this for money, you're doing it for the wrong reason. I'll say that straight up, and I will argue all day long about that — because I was chasing the money before, and that's what put me on the couch. I was motivated by money and not by service to the clients, not service to my teammates, and not to service to my community." - Greg Ward
- How did Greg Ward go from the toughest year of his life to building one of the premier personal injury firms in the country?
- What does Greg Ward do to understand what his clients are going through?
- How does giving back to the community propel The Ward Law Group forward?
- What are the core values that drive Greg's business — and how did he develop them?
A Strong Foundation
Greg Ward is the Founding Partner of The Ward Law Group, a personal injury firm based in the Miami Lakes area. Along with his co-Founding Partner and wife, Jany Martinez-Ward, Mr. Ward litigates across a broad range of practice areas, including insurance coverage, bad faith, and complex contractual matters. Their practice, based in South Florida, serves clients in English and Spanish.
Greg himself graduated cum laude from the University of Baltimore School of Law, gave the commencement address, and received the Law Faculty Award for Outstanding Graduate of the Class. He is licensed to practice in Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, and U.S. Federal Courts.
The Golden Rule
Empathy is key to Greg's law practice. As someone who has struggled financially in the past, Greg knows how important every dollar is to his clients. He tells stories of sleeping on his couch because he could only afford a bed for his daughter and searching the parking lot of a gas station for coins to pay for a soda.
His wife and co-partner in the firm, Jany Martinez-Ward, emigrated to the U.S. from Cuba as a teenager with just a backpack and her one-year-old brother in her arms. Both Greg and Jany bring compassion from their experiences to their cases. The firm serves primarily Spanish-speaking clients, many of whom are immigrants, some undocumented. Whoever walks in the door at The Ward Law Group knows they will be treated with respect and their case will be taken seriously.
Get Your Priorities Straight
Though he's seen incredible success, Greg is not in it for the money. He makes sure that much of what comes in gets reinvested in the community through donations to his church and local organizations. He also volunteers his time advising entrepreneurs and leading business seminars.
Instead of focusing exclusively on the finances, The Ward Law Group is centered around a series of core values, headlined by service to the clients and the community. Every decision is made through the prism of, "How will it affect my clients?" Greg knows that money is simply the outcome of great service, and that even though it's his business, it's all about the client.
- The best way to measure your success as a leader is through your impact on your clients, your team, and your community.
- Communication is key in a marriage and a business partnership — or in Greg and Jany's case, both at once!
- Follow hope, not fear. Challenges will make you stronger, and good things happen when you believe in yourself.
Links and Resources