Manage episode 300745595 series 2855655
Bear with us now, but imagine for a moment that you’re a competitive eater. Imagine that in your next competition you have to finish a huge steak surrounded by vegetables, buttered rolls, and potatoes. But the only thing that matters to win is finishing the steak. You probably wouldn’t go for the sides first, this could waste time and cost you your victory. Instead, you’d go for the giant steak because it's the thing that matters the most right?
So what are you focusing on? The meat or the sides?
This may sound like a strange analogy but maintaining focused on what really matters to win is a skill that is sadly becoming rarer and rarer. In today’s episode we take a look into the book “Deep Work” by Cal Newport where he explains his simple process to eliminating distractions and finding the deep focus you need to reach any goal.
If you’ve been listening to The Unlimited Potential Show you’ve heard us talk about accelerated growth and a big part of tapping into that acceleration is sifting through the distractions and keeping your eyes on the prize. You’ll learn practical ways to shed your shallow work, exercise your brain, and upgrade your concentration. Plus, how you can create a schedule free of distractions that allows your deep work to thrive, saving you time and energy.
It’s easy to get distracted by the little things but by practicing these simple steps you can create a deeper, more productive life and career. For more resources or to join our private Facebook group, check out the links below!
More Of What’s Inside:
- How distraction is used for good
- Deep vs. Shallow work
- Why multitasking doesn’t work
- The power of being bored
- Exercising your brain with productive meditation
- Planning your week instead of reacting to it
- Becoming a master of focus with only a few tools
- Practical tips to tap into your own deep work
- How you can sustain deep work
- Creating a schedule that allows you to grow
- And much more!
Private Facebook Community:
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 0:02 - Here’s what we cover
- 1:13 - Diving into the topic
- 7:16 - Why we get distracted
- 12:06 - The definition of deep work
- 17:41 - The dangers of chronic multitasking
- 24:02 - Training your brain to concentrate
- 27:58 - The value of productive meditation
- 30:47 - Planning time for deep work
- 36:09 - Protecting your deep work
- 40:38 - The connection between anxiety and technology
- 44:14 - Tips to help your deep work
- 48:32 - Wrapping up deep work
- 54:09 - Closing thoughts