TIP529: Joel Tillinghast & Uncovering the Art of Outperformance
Manage episode 356534942 series 1394353
On today’s episode, Clay Finck reviews Joel Tillinghast’s book, Big Money Thinks Small, and does analysis on two companies built around acquisitions - Brown and Brown Insurance and Constellation Software.
Joel is an incredible long-term investor as he has consistently outperformed the market and currently manages around $70 billion at Fidelity. Peter Lynch, who hired Joel at Fidelity, has described Joel as “one of the greatest, most successful stock pickers of all time.”
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro
06:04 - Why some level of speculation is required in every investment.
08:07 - What speculations are acceptable in Joel Tillinghast’s conservative investment approach.
10:34 - What you need to understand about a company prior to investing.
13:02 - Why Tillinghast avoids investing in gold.
20:20 - Why investing in countries with the fastest GDP growth rate isn’t a wise investment strategy.
29:52 - Clay’s insights into two acquisition-focused companies - Brown and Brown Insurance and Constellation Software.
37:27 - Why Constellation Software may be worth further investigation for stock pickers interested in high quality businesses.
Disclaimer: Slight discrepancies in the timestamps may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Joel Tillinghast’s book Big Money Thinks Small.
- Newsletter: The Risks in Owning Chinese Equities.
- Listen to Trey’s Interview with Josh Young Covering Oil, or watch the video.
- Chris Mayer’s blog post on Constellation Software.
- Check out Clay’s episode covering legendary British Investor Terry Smith. Watch the video here.
- Don’t miss our review of Four Wide Moat Stocks for 2023. Watch the video here.
- Follow Clay on Twitter.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Talk to your clients about Desjardins Responsible Investment today and support what’s right for society and what’s good for business.
- Take stock of your finances and investing strategy with Betterment.
- Get an overall better student loan experience with College Ave. Plus, get a chance to win a $1,000 college scholarship. No purchase is required.
- Set, track, and manage your financial goals as your life evolves with Scotia Smart Investor.
- Let an expert do your taxes from start to finish so you can relax with TurboTax.
- Easily diversify beyond stocks and bonds, and build wealth through streamlined CRE investing with EquityMultiple.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds, and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!