Manage episode 364354037 series 1394353
On today’s episode, Clay reviews one of Warren Buffett’s favorite investment books called The Outsiders by William Thorndike Jr.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro.
01:56 - How we should evaluate the performance of a CEO during their tenure.
03:01 - How Henry Singleton led Teledyne to deliver a 20.4% average annual return to shareholders during his 30 year tenure.
09:18 - How most CEOs think like foxes, while Outsider CEOs think like hedgehogs.
22:15 - What it means to be an exceptional capital allocator.
26:17 - How Katherine Graham from The Washington Post delivered a 22.3% average return to shareholders from 1971 through 1993.
32:40 - The unconventional decisions that led Warren Buffett to become known as the world’s greatest capital allocator.
52:55 - How Buffett thinks about constructing a stock portfolio.
57:24 - The most common themes in studying Outsider CEOs.
Disclaimer: Slight discrepancies in the timestamps may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- William Thorndike’s book – The Outsiders.
- Check out our newly released TIP Mastermind Community.
- Check out our recent episode covering the 2023 Berkshire Hathaway Shareholder Meeting or watch the video.
- Clay’s previous episodes covering Warren Buffett’s full story – Part 1 & Part 2, or watch the video here & here.
- Follow Clay on Twitter.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
- Learn how to better start, manage, and grow your business with the best business podcasts.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Invest in Bitcoin with confidence on River. It's the most secure way to buy Bitcoin with 100% full reserve custody and zero fees on recurring orders.
- If you’re aware you need to improve your bitcoin security but have been putting it off, Unchained Capital‘s Concierge Onboarding is a simple way to get started—sooner rather than later. Book your onboarding today and at checkout, get $50 off with the promo code FUNDAMENTALS.
- What does happen when money and big feelings mix? Tune in to find out on the new podcast, Open Money, presented by Servus Credit Union.
- Make connections, gain knowledge, and uplift your governance CV by becoming a member of the AICD today.
- Enjoy flexibility and support with free cancellation, payment options, and 24/7 service when booking travel experiences with Viator. Download the Viator app NOW and use code VIATOR10 for 10% off your first booking.
- Join over 5k investors in the data security revolution with Atakama.
- Apply for the Employee Retention Credit easily, no matter how busy you are, with Innovation Refunds.
- Invest your retirement savings in what YOU know and are passionate about with a Self-Directed IRA with New Direction Trust Company.
- Send, spend, and receive money around the world easily with Wise.
- Beat FOMO and move faster than the market with AlphaSense.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds, and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!