Manage episode 342138780 series 2815807
As we emerge from the COVID pandemic, renters could be at risk of eviction and of big rent hikes. What can we do to stop that? In this episode, we discuss 7 Things Los Angeles Can Do To Protect Renters and Prevent Homelessness with guest Greg Bonett, Senior Staff Attorney with Public Counsel, a pro bono law firm representing tenants, and a keep organizational partner in the Keep LA Housed Coalition.
Keep LA Housed on Twitter: @KeepLAHoused
Public Counsel on Twitter: @PublicCounsel
Greg Bonett on Twitter: @gsbonett
7 Things Los Angeles Can Do To Protect Renters and Prevent Homelessness
- Expand just cause eviction protections to cover all tenants
- Prohibit family separations
- Enact permanent limits on evictions for failure to pay rent.
- Reduce allowable rent increases allowed under the Rent Stabilization Ordinance.
- Require relocation assistance for non-RSO tenants displaced by large rent increases.
- Adopt a codified right to counsel
- Adopt the Fair Access for Renters package to remove discriminatory barriers to housing.