Trevor Torrance (Perth Wildcats) on Ben Simmons and Liz Cambage's emotional intelligence and mental health
Manage episode 298230284 series 1153320
Former Wildcats star Trevor Torrence was a part of Perth's first NBL championships (1990-91) and he joins us on the show to discuss his playing career and how he has transitioned to working with corporations and elite sporting teams in the area of emotional intelligence (EI) with Genos International.
Ben Palmer, the CEO of Genos International also joins the discussion to shares insights into the success Genos International has had working with the Phoenix Suns in the NBA and how the Suns credit the Australian developed program as an integral part of this 2021 success and NBA Finals appearance.
Torrance played in 11 NBL seasons with Perth and Gold Coast. He played in 305 NBL games and averaged 9 points and 3 rebounds per game.
- Emotional Intelligence (EI), what it is and how it helped the Phoenix Suns reach the NBA Finals (2:00)
- The Boomers culture and the EI strengths it is built around (9:30)
- How basketball in the 1990s was void of emotional intelligence and how it would have made a difference to the careers of NBL players (12:30)
- Specific examples of the way the Phoenix Suns changed the behaviour of the players and staff to optimise communication and improve emotional intelligence (17:00)
- Ben Simmons mental health challenges after the 2021 playoffs and where emotional intelligence is a critical component (22:00)
- Negative social media and its impact on elite athletes (30:00)
- How Perth Wildcats 1990-91 championship teams developed a raw version of emotional intelligence and how it made them successful in the 1990s and set the foundation for the club as it is today (32:00)
- Firing the coach of an underperforming team to create change, is it always the best solution (34:00)
- How NBA teams developing their EI within their programs is akin to the focus on analytics 10 years ago (40:00)
Visit dunk.com.au for your next set of basketball uniforms.
Listen to our previous interviews with the biggest stars in Australian Basketball, head to Aussiehoopla.com. Check out previous podcasts featuring;
Australian Basketball Legends - Luc Longley, Andrew Gaze, Shane Heal, Mark Bradtke, Leroy Loggins, David Andersen, Andrew Vlahov, Phil Smyth, CJ Bruton, Chris Anstey, Brett Maher, John Rillie, Tony Ronaldson, Damian Martin
Current NBL Stars - Jack White, Dejan Vasiljevic, AJ Ogilvy, Daniel Kickert, Thomas Abercrombie, Jason Cadee, Bryce Cotton, Chris Goulding, Mitch McCarron, Cam Gliddon, Anthony Drmic, Brad Newley
Our Finest Coaching Minds - Brian Goorjian, Barry Barnes, Joey Wright, Adrian Hurley, Aaron Fearne, Rob Beveridge, Ian Stacker, Shawn Dennis, Dean Vickerman, Trevor Gleeson, Lindsey Gaze, Ken Cole, Will Weaver, Bruce Palmer
NBA Stars Past & Present - Andrew Bogut, Matthew Dellavedova, Stephen Jackson, Randy Livingston, Torrey Craig, Acie Earl, Josh Childress, Reggie Smith, Todd Lichti, Ryan Broekhoff, Doug Overton, Donald Sloan
The NBL's Greatest Imports - Darryl McDonald, Ricky Grace, Derek Rucker, Leon Trimmingham, Scott Fisher, Lanard Copeland, Mike Mitchell, Darnell Mee, Isaac Burton, Adonis Jordan, Shawn Redhage, Willie Farley, Al Green, Corey "Homicide" Williams, Andre Moore, Steve Woodberry, Gary Ervin, Ebi Ere, Doug Overton, Kevin Lisch
And the men who run things - Larry Kestelman, Mal Speed, Paul Maley, Vince Crivelli, Jeremy Loeliger, Chuck Harmison, Jeff Van Groningen, Bob Turner
All that and much more.