Manage episode 377559241 series 2786880
In today’s episode, I’m sharing 5 of the most common “scene level” issues to look for when editing your draft. Here’s a preview of what’s included:
[02:44] Issue #1: The scene isn’t properly structured and it feels flat.
[03:59] Issue #2: The POV character doesn’t have enough agency.
[05:57] Issue #3: There’s too much extra stuff crowding the scene.
[07:50] Issue #4: There’s not enough interiority on the page.
[09:35] Issue #5: The POV is inconsistent (aka there's head hopping)
[11:22] Final thoughts and episode recap.
Rate + Review + Follow on Apple Podcasts
"I love the Fiction Writing Made Easy podcast!" ← If that sounds like you, please consider rating and reviewing this show! Your rating and review will help other writers find this podcast, and they're also super fun for me to go in and read. Just click here, scroll all the way to the bottom, tap five stars to rate the show, and then select "Write a Review." Be sure to let me know what your favorite part of the episode was, too!
Also, if you haven't done so already, make sure you're following the podcast! I'll be adding a bunch of bonus episodes to the feed, and if you're not following the show, there's a good chance you'll miss them. Click here to follow now!
Links mentioned in this episode:
- The 5-Day Unlock Your Story: A LIVE challenge designed to help you get your ideas out of your head and onto the page.
- Ep. 40 - How to Write a Well-Structured Scene
- Ep. 43 - 10 Tips For Writing Better Scenes
- Ep. 63 - Don’t Start A Scene Without These 3 Things
- Ep. 74 - When Should You Write in Scene vs. Summary?
- Ep. 94 - How to Reveal Your Character’s Inner Life on the Page