Manage episode 281599744 series 2469771
Find full show notes and links at: https://gocamp.pro/day-camp-pod/dei-at-day-camp-pt1
The Day Camp world is being reborn after the summer of 2020. Let’s rebuild it into a world of diversity, equity and inclusion.
One of the silver linings 2020 has been the awakening of many camp professionals to the glaring lack of diversity in the camp industry.
Besides camps that cater to children living in the inner-city, Summer camp- like many American institutions, has historically been a white proposition. Today we will discuss what we can do within our organizations, to help make change. Thank you for joining us for this important discussion
In this first part of a two-part episode, we cover:
- Developmental appropriateness-
- inappropriate, but age-appropriate- use as teachable moments- don’t dismiss.
- “Got it from parents”
- NAMING defensiveness-
- “Not seeing race”
- Avoiding the topic
- How do we show off- How do we represent camp validity to all people
- Not avoiding… accepting, knowing what the community values.
- Step 1- Hiring diverse staff
Find all resources: https://gocamp.pro/day-camp-pod/dei-at-day-camp-pt1
If you love the Day Camp Pod, we would be grateful if you subscribed and left us a review. It’s SUPER easy, too! Just head to http://ratethispodcast.com/dcp
- Andy Pritikin, Owner/Director - Liberty Lake Day Camp
- Tiffany Gratton-McDuffie, Executive Director - Purposeful Play
- Sam Thompson, Recreation Supervisor - Crystal Lake Park District
- Dr. Chanika Perry, Director of Education Programs - Hands On Atlanta
- Dr. Lance Ozier, Senior Educational Consultant - Teaching Matters
Thanks to our wonderful sponsors who help make this Go Camp Pro podcast possible:
- AM Skier Insurance http://www.amskier.com/
- Commercial Recreation Specialists (CRS) https://crs4rec.com/
Please review and subscribe!
If you’ve gotten even one good thing from the Day Camp Pod, we would be so grateful if you left us a review and subscribed to this show in your favourite Podcast app.
It’s so easy!
5-Minute Fridays! To find out more and register, head over to http://gocamp.pro/5mf