Manage episode 377018180 series 3498982
Bogi Lateiner is a familiar face in the automotive service industry. She’s a technician, former shop owner, host of All Girls Garage on Motor Trend TV and a champion for women in the technical trades. She’s also a spokesperson for ASE and one of the trainers at the ASE Education Foundation Instructor Conference this year. The automotive industry is changing and the number of women working as technicians is growing. We caught up with Bogi at the conference to get her thoughts on how we can change the culture in what has been typically a male-dominated workforce to be more welcoming to those young women thinking about a career in the automotive industry. She offers some advice for those training the next generation of technicians, as well as those already working in shops across the nation, and shares some of her experience to help better understand how we can change our culture to improve professionalism and evolve our industry for the workforce of today and tomorrow.
Listen in as we talk with Bogi about:
· Her background and experience in the automotive industry
· How she’s working to make the automotive industry the best it can be
· Her thoughts on women in the automotive industry
· The ways to change the culture to improve professionalism and industry image
· Why some well-intentioned comments can have the opposite effect
· What automotive instructors and trainers can do to help women succeed in the industry and the classroom
· How doing nothing is sometimes the best course of action
· Why being there for someone is the most important support you can offer
· How communication skills can be the most important part of building teamwork
· Creating a more professional, respectful and welcoming industry
· How to find Bogi’s “With Her Two Hands” podcast
Stay tuned for more thoughts and advice on the many facets and opportunities available through a career in the automotive service industry as we continue our Team ASE podcast series, and thanks for listening!
For more information on ASE and automotive careers, visit the website at www.ase.com