Dan Smith: The Bastille Frontman’s Journey from “Terrified” Solo Act to Monster Hits like “Pompeii” and “Happier”
Manage episode 365299327 series 3398731
Dan Smith is the lead singer of the band Bastille. He sits down with Guy to discuss the meaning behind the band's breakout hit "Pompeii," why his best songwriting isn't about his own life, losing iPhones filled with lyrics that weren't backed up, and a critical review that damaged his confidence even as Bastille took the music world by storm.
Links from the show:
- Pompeii music video (700M views)
- Laura Palmer music video (debut single)
- Overjoyed music video
- Edit by Regina Spektor
- Ignoring Messages by Dan
- Happier music video (1B views!)
- Joe Strummer Foundation
- The Guardian's harsh review of Bastille's debut album "Bad Blood"
- From Devil's Breath: Leonardo DiCaprio climate documentary