Manage episode 346155343 series 1391411
Maggie Johnson-Pint from Stanza sits down with Amal & Divya for a deep-dive in to the production side of the development world. If you’re at all curious (and/or intimidated) by terms like Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), Service Level Objective (SLO), OpenTelemetry, distributed tracing, and the like… this episode’s for you!
Changelog++ members save 5 minutes on this episode because they made the ads disappear. Join today!
- Raygun – Never miss another mission-critical issue again — Raygun Alerting is now available for Crash Reporting and Real User Monitoring, to make sure you are quickly notified of the errors, crashes, and front-end performance issues that matter most to you and your business. Set thresholds for your alert based on an increase in error count, a spike in load time, or new issues introduced in the latest deployment. Start your free 14-day trial at Raygun.com
- Square – Develop on the platform that sellers trust. There is a massive opportunity for developers to support Square sellers by building apps for today’s business needs. Learn more at changelog.com/square to dive into the docs, APIs, SDKs and to create your Square Developer account — tell them Changelog sent you.
- Sourcegraph – Transform your code into a queryable database to create customizable visual dashboards in seconds. Sourcegraph recently launched Code Insights — now you can track what really matters to you and your team in your codebase. See how other teams are using this awesome feature at about.sourcegraph.com/code-insights
- Maggie Johnson-Pint – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Amal Hussein – Twitter, GitHub
- Divya – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- 📘 Site Reliability Engineering
- 📘 The Site Reliability Workbook
- web components has egg on its face because the zeitgeist
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - Opener
(00:47) - Sponsor: Raygun
(02:35) - It's party time, y'all!
(03:24) - Welcome, friends!
(05:11) - Getting to know Maggie
(07:19) - Her journey to Site Reliability Engineering
(09:42) - The cultural foundations of SRE
(12:23) - The consequences of webdev innovation
(14:49) - How SRE has evolved over time
(15:35) - OpenTelemetry & standardization
(17:41) - Explaining Service Level Objectives
(19:12) - SLO vs SLA & Five 9's
(21:53) - Connecting SREs to UX
(23:10) - Sponsor: Square
(24:16) - Is DevOps dead?
(28:52) - What is a golden path?
(30:01) - Are golden paths really the best way?
(32:29) - Divya on SRE, DevOps, etc.
(36:02) - The power of working on JS
(37:30) - Ironies of automation
(38:39) - Amal's HBO show
(40:04) - OpenTelemetry & where it's headed
(42:28) - Sponsor: Sourcegraph
(44:26) - How frontentenders can be better stewards
(49:28) - Maggie tells us about her startup: Stanza
(1:00:24) - Maggie's magic wand wish
(1:01:31) - Goodbye, friends!
(1:02:52) - Outro (review the pod!)