What's new in Astro 2
Manage episode 354402408 series 1391411
Fred K. Schott joins the party again to discuss all the new and fun changes in Astro 2. Nick and KBall dig in on what’s new, what’s exciting, and what to expect from the framework built around content.
Changelog++ members support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear. Join today!
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Fred K. Schott – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Nick Nisi – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Kevin Ball – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Introducing Astro 2
- JS Party - Build faster websites with Astro 1.0
- Astro Islands
- React Server Components
- Content collections
- Upgrade to Astro v2
- Astro server-side rendering
- Astro migration guide
- Language Server Protocol
- Astro language tools
- TanStack Query
- State of JS 2022
- JS Party on the State of JS Survey
- Fred’s thread on the State of JS survey
- Astro on OpenCollective
- Astro on StackBlitz
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - It's party time, y'all
(00:55) - Welcome back Fred!
(02:12) - What is Astro?
(04:51) - Advantages of HTML-focused syntax
(06:00) - On .astro files
(08:26) - Server vs client-side rendering
(11:46) - React Islands
(14:59) - Will Astro build a Facebook soon?
(16:16) - Astro's advantages and V2
(19:10) - The plugin ecosystem
(21:27) - Astro and schema.org
(23:21) - Type safety on Astro
(26:12) - TS is bigger than JS now...
(27:59) - Astro's Svelte-like history
(29:11) - Owning the compilation process
(31:41) - Connecting state between islands
(35:39) - Astro's growth on State of JS survey
(38:54) - React's biggest challenge right now
(41:24) - What's next after React?
(44:50) - What's coming after Astro 2?
(46:36) - Giving back to the community, literally
(48:10) - Everything is Content!
(49:19) - Getting started with Astro 2
(50:24) - Wrapping up!
(50:51) - Outro