Manage episode 262911273 series 2648641
"At about three o'clock in the morning, I decided that I was going to be a truck accident lawyer." - Joe Fried
- Why would an attorney turn down a surefire career to gamble on an unexplored niche?
- How does giving away your expertise to your competitors make you a better lawyer?
- Why is fear the best motivator, and how can you use it to your advantage?
- How do you lead a firm with a hyperspecialized practice area when there's no playbook?
The Peerless Personal Injury Trucking Attorney
Joe Fried's been obsessed with justice for as long as he can remember. Fresh out of high school, he became a Fulton County police officer — and once he got bit by the bug, he knew he needed to go all-in.
Along the way, Joe discovered a narrow legal niche he cared deeply about...and could impact to a greater degree.
With his passion for personal injury in the trucking niche and his ambition to be the best, Joe has opened up a whole new legal landscape and become a driving force behind lasting change in the trucking industry.
Turning Down Million Dollar Product Cases To Niche Down
It takes great personal insight and grit to take a career-changing risk, but Joe Fried did just that. Instead of staying to take on more million-dollar product cases, he niched down into personal injury trucking law.
We talk about the major payoffs of calculated risk, how attorneys can identify the niche that is truly their calling, and why Joe believes “jack of all trades” lawyers are setting themselves up for failure.
Why Joe Gives His Industry Secrets Away
Joe wrote the playbook for trucking cases, but he doesn't keep his secrets close to his chest. He's more than willing to train up the next generation of attorneys — his future competitors. This is about changing the industry, developing best practices, and really testing his abilities as a lawyer and as a mentor. Joe explains why he's happy to give back from a personal, professional, and even spiritual angle.
- Fear drives ambition. Joe felt scared during his drastic career change, but he turned his fear into fuel. He leveled up his career and used that fear as inspiration to launch an incredible fleet of initiatives to further set himself apart in his chosen niche.
- Niche down to your passion. Joe has made his life about trucking law — it's no marketing ploy. He cares deeply about the industry, communicating daily with safety directors, building coalitions, and trying to change the culture around the issues. He doesn't have to do all of that, but it's made him the most respected guy in the room.
- Money is just a metric for success. Joe's work is a testament to the idea that the more you give, the more you get. This is about the human side of the law, something that others may be out of touch with. Joe is vulnerable, earnest, and passionate about making a difference in other people's lives, case by case.
Links And Resources
- The Game Changing Attorney Podcast
- Michael Mogill Facebook
- Michael Mogill Twitter
- Michael Mogill Instagram
- Michael Mogill LinkedIn
- Crisp Video Website
- Crisp Video Facebook
- Crisp Video Group Twitter
- Crisp Video Instagram
- Crisp Video LinkedIn
- Joe Fried LinkedIn
- Fried Goldberg LLC
- Academy of Truck Accident Attorneys