Manage episode 171853237 series 1322636
How long do we, as a species, have left on this planet?
It may be a lot less time than you may had previously thought, according to today's guest.
Guy McPherson, the leading authority on abrupt climate change and near-term human extinction, predicts that we, collectively, have reached the tipping point that has lead the human population careening towards the sixth great extinction of our planet.
So what're we to do?
Guy's answers range from mailing your local congressmen... to dynamiting cell phone towers—all in the name of dismantling industrial civilization, which Guy believes, is the root cause of many of our modern ills—including, but no limited to—abrupt climate change.
Love it or hate it...
In today’s episode, you’ll learn:
- Why we should take action but be unattached to the outcome,
- Why we as a species are driving ourselves towards a sixth mass extinction,
- The solutions we can take on a local level to extend our time here on Earth,
- And much, much more...
- Guy gives a statement to President Trump about climate change
- Why Guy believes being unattached to an outcome is not only important but necessary
- Guy gives solid examples of self-reenforcing feedback loops
- Guy shares his perspective on why he doesn't like to attach himself to outcomes
- Why Guy believes civilization has become an omnicidal heat-engine
- Guy defines anarchy and anarchism as described by Edward Abbey
- Guy describes how conservation biologists like himself are the ones who pushed the efforts of rewilding into mainstream media
- Guy argues that the trigger for humans and civilization came when people began to "lock up the food"
- What's the difference between the leavers versus the takers?
- Guy shares his experience with living in a transition town in the wilds of New Mexico
- Guy tells us what steps we might need to take in order to live more harmoniously with the humans and nonhumans of this earth
- Why we need to escape cityscapes
- Why Guy says there are no parties that are free from environmental damage
- Why we focus on making money instead of building skills
- Guy describes what a holistic human-being is and how we've been distracted
- Guy shares his biggest challenges when making his own transition in New Mexico
- Why modern culture can drive us away from interpersonal intimacy
- Why Guys says we're "all about the money"
- Guy observes how profoundly driven humans are for material possessions
- The sixth mass extinction
- Guy briefly explains the Great Dying
- Why Guy believes we shouldn't blame or shame anyone into taking action
- Why Guy says the sixth mass extinction is directly rooted in industrial civilization
- Why The Jason Group believes that the Earth will be a lifeless planet in the not-so-distant future
- Guy gives two examples of taking direct action against industrial civilization
- Deep Green Resistance and Idle No More
- The best excuse in the world not to take action
- Why Guy believes there should be no "should"
- The Seventh Generation Principle