Manage episode 297334198 series 2499809
Our time is defined by a crisis of consciousness and broken spiritual connection. Driven by a materialist, zero-sum approach to everything, we seek answers in ego, money, power and consumption. It’s an addiction that’s wreaking havoc on the planet—and ultimately leaves us empty.
Short of a spiritual reconciliation or outright revolution of the heart, I fear for the future well-being of humanity.
It is this terrain that today we tread with spiritual psychologist, historian, philosopher, and the world’s only rabbi with a black belt in jiu-jitsu, Rabbi Mordecai Finley, Ph.D.
The co-founder of Ohr HaTorah Synagogue in Los Angeles, Rabbi Finley holds a doctorate in Religion and Social Ethics from the University of Southern California. He’s taught Holocaust Studies, Talmud, Rabbinic Literature, Jewish Law and Ethics, and other courses at USC, USC School of Law, and Loyola Law School. And he is a founder and the former president of the Academy for Jewish Religion.
Rabbi Finley’s gift lies in wisdom counseling, and today we are gifted just that.
This is a rather extraordinary deep dive into the teachings of moral philosophy, spiritual psychology, skepticism, and stoicism. We deal with anger & fear, the relationships that divide ourselves and others, and what Rabbi Finley calls The Inner Pharaoh, the internal oppressor who keeps us trapped with the crushing persistence of an ancient Egyptian pharaoh. In addition, Rabbi Finley helps answer questions like:
- what does it mean to pursue a life of virtue, wisdom, depth, purpose, and meaning beyond the material?
- how do we parse our inner voice from the ego?
- how do we connect our inner consciousness to the divine?
- how do we end cycles of anger, disappointment, and dissatisfaction?
- and most importantly, what is the role of spirituality in 2021?
But the most powerful lesson imparted is the importance of thinking well. Exploring the depths of your motivation. And understanding that only you can heal yourself.
Rabbi Finley is a beautiful soul. I sincerely hope you find this conversation as powerful and fascinating as I did.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
LMNT: A science-backed electrolyte drink mix with everything you need and nothing you don’t. The formula is super high-caliber, it’s plant-based with no sugar, fillers, gluten, or sketchy ingredients. For a limited time receive a FREE LMNT sample pack—just cover 5$ for shipping. Try it out at drinkLMNT.com/RICHROLL.
Whoop: The world’s most powerful fitness tracker. Get smarter about how you sleep, recover, and train, so you can unlock your best self. Go to WHOOP.com and use the promo code Richroll at checkout to save 15% off WHOOP.
Daily Harvest: Daily Harvest makes it easy to eat more fruits and vegetables with thoughtfully sourced, chef-crafted foods that are ready in five minutes or less. Go to dailyharvest.com/RICHROLLto get up to $40 off your first box.
Outerknown: Founded by pro-surfer Kelly Slater, Outerknown creates high quality, sustainably produced, and great looking men’s and women’s clothes, ethically manufactured in the world’s cleanest solar-powered factory. When you’re ready to amp up your wardrobe with awesome sustainable duds, go to outerknown.com and enter my code RICHROLL at checkout to get 25% off your full-price order.
- Connect with Rabbi Finley: Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
- Ohr HaTorah Synagogue: About
- Patreon: Rabbi Mordecai Finley
- YouTube: Rabbi Finley On Narrative & Reality
- YouTube: Ohr HaTorah
- Los Angeles Times: The Rabbi Who Challenges Judaism
- Jewish Journal: Rabbi Mordecai Finley
- Jewish Journal: Seventh Day Passover – The Second Step into the Sea
- Huffpost: Rabbi Mordecai Finley, Ph.D.
- The Times Of Israel: The violence in Israel: What is the heart of the matter? Rabbi Mordecai Finley
- The Times Of Israel: A letter to friends who want to understand what is happening in Gaza by Rabbi Mordecai Finley
- Zocalo Public Square: Why I Traveled 3,000 Miles To Get To Temple
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account
Support The Sponsors: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support our sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url's and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click "Sponsors".
Thank The Team: I do not do this alone. Send your love to Jason Camiolo for audio engineering, production, show notes and interstitial music; Margo Lubin and Blake Curtis for video, & editing; graphics by Jessica Miranda & Daniel Solis; portraits by Ali Rogers, Davy Greenberg & Grayson Wilder; copywriting by Georgia Whaley; and theme music by Tyler Piatt, Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.