Manage episode 365009533 series 2539397
Clay Finck chats with Jesse Mecham all about budget, whether budgets are for everyone or not, looking at an investor’s overall financial situation when assessing their strategy, and much more!
Jesse is the founder of You Need A Budget or YNAB, and is also a personal finance expert and business leader. He is deeply passionate about teaching individuals, families, and business owners YNAB’s four rules to help them gain total control of their money, which Jesse will be covering for us a little bit later.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro
02:34 - What led Jesse to start his business in 2004 while he was still in college?
06:13 - The story on when Jesse knew it was time to quit his full-time accounting career to go all in on his business.
14:59 - What is, and what is not a budget?
27:34 - YNAB’s four money rules.
43:39 - What Jesse’s personal portfolio looks like.
46:33 - What some of Jesse’s favorite books are.
And much, much more!
*Disclaimer: Slight timestamp discrepancies may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Check out You Need a Budget.
- Check out YNAB’s YouTube channel.
- Books mentioned in the episode: Traction, High Output Management, The Hard Thing about Hard Things, Your Money or Your Life, The Richest Man in Babylon, Antifragile, & Four Thousand Weeks.
- Related Episode: Listen to MI080: To Be A Successful Investor, You Need A Budget w/ Jesse Mecham, or watch the video.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our Millennial Investing Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try Robert's favorite tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
- Learn how to better start, manage, and grow your business with the best business podcasts.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Get a FREE audiobook from Audible.
- Instead of trying to time the market or pick single stocks, automate your investments and invest in a variety of companies with Betterment.
- Apply for the Employee Retention Credit easily, no matter how busy you are, with Innovation Refunds.
- Partner with a specialized agency focused on making insurance as easy as possible for real estate investors. Take advantage of monthly reporting, monthly billing, and coverage for all phases of occupancy with National Real Estate Insurance Group.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
Connect with Clay: Twitter