Manage episode 365206551 series 2539397
Patrick Donley sits down with sports agent turned real estate investor, The Duke of Dirt. You’ll learn what the Duke learned growing up with a Super Bowl-winning football father, how he took control of his own learning, his thoughts on getting an MBA, the dangers of following conventional wisdom, and what his current plan is as he moves away from the W-2 world into real estate entrepreneurship.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro
03:35 - What The Duke learned growing up as the son of a highly successful football coach.
04:54 - What he learned from Nick Saban and Chip Kelly.
14:30 - What it was like working as a sports agent representing football coaches.
15:36 - How he transitioned to real estate while getting his MBA.
15:36 - His thoughts on higher education.
20:38 - How he took control of his own learning and the sources he turned to.
29:46 - The dangers of following conventional wisdom.
30:03 - How to navigate going out on your own.
32:01 - His current real estate strategy he’s implementing.
41:58 - His experience with Twitter and writing high-quality threads.
51:42 - The commonalities of successful real estate investors.
52:39 - How anyone can benefit from writing regularly.
And much, much more!
*Disclaimer: Slight timestamp discrepancies may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- The Obstacle is the Way by Ryan Holiday.
- Mose Kagan’s blog.
- Am I Being Too Subtle by Sam Zell.
- What it Takes by Stephen Schwarzman.
- Risk Game by Francis Greenburger.
- Endurance by Alfred Lansing.
- Related Episode: Listen to REI180: The Intersection of Education and Real Estate w/ Kevin Clark, or watch the video.
- Related Episode: Listen to REI182: Escaping His 9 to 5 w/ Raleigh Williams, or watch the video.
- Related Episode: Listen to REI179: Resilience and Triumph w/ AJ Osbourne, or watch the video.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our Real Estate 101 Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
- Keep up with the latest news and strategies on real estate investing with the best real estate podcasts.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Get a FREE audiobook from Audible.
- Apply for the Employee Retention Credit easily, no matter how busy you are, with Innovation Refunds.
- Your home might be worth more than you think. Earn extra money today with Airbnb.
- Protect and optimize your wealth with Money Pickle - whether you're seeking advice on retirement planning, optimizing your 401k, navigating inheritances, or any other financial matter.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.